I found some fascinating statistics concerning eating disorders and body image. I would like to share a few of them with you.
*8 million people with eating disorders in the US and 1 million of them are boys.
*80% of women are unhappy with their appearance.
* Half of all Americans know of a family member or personal friend who has an eating disorder.
(I think this is even higher because when I do public speaking or book signings it seems like everyone I visit with knows someone.)
* 81% of ten year olds are afraid of being fat.
* Of American 13-year-olds, 80 percent have tried to lose weight.
*Half of American girls between the ages of 11 and 13 view themselves as overweight
* 91% of women recently surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting.
*In adolescents, anorexia is the third most common chronic illness.
*Of all the mental illnesses, eating disorders have the highest mortality rate.
* Of those Americans with eating disorders, only one in ten get the treatment they need.
*20% of people with eating disorders and 25% of people with anorexia nervosa die without treatment. That number goes down to 2-3% with treatment.
If anyone has any personal stories of their own children, niece, or themselves I would love to hear them.